Science at Ark Blacklands provides children with a strong understanding of the world around them. Harnessing their natural curiosity, we ensure children learn to explore, discover and use Science to explain what is occurring around them; predict how things might behave and then analyse the cause.
At Ark Blacklands, children’s discovery of the world around them and their awareness of place begins in the Early Years Foundation Stage, where children begin to recognise similarities and differences in relation to places, objects, materials and living things. They begin to explain why some things occur and talk about changes.
Our KS1 and KS2 Science curriculum is designed to ensure pupils are achieving the three key aims of the National Curriculum. This states that through science teaching, all pupils:
develop scientific knowledge and conceptual understanding through the specific disciplines of biology, chemistry and physics
develop an understanding of the nature, processes and methods of science through different types of science enquiries that help them to answer scientific questions about the world around them
are equipped with the scientific knowledge required to understand the uses and implications of science, today and for the future.
Science at Ark Blacklands ensures our pupils gain the knowledge they need to discover, understand and begin to explain the world and phenomena around them. In addition, we ensure our pupils are equipped with the skills and knowledge of processes through which science is achieved and applied. We know that pupils need to know how science works in their own lives and in the lives of others. Our pupils have the right to be scientifically literate because science matters in the world.
- Year 1: Everyday Materials, Autumn and Winter, Amazing Animals, Plants, Spring and Summer
- Year 2: Animal Survival, Uses of Materials, Habitats, Plants: Bulbs and Growth. Protecting our Environment
- Year 3: Rocks and Fossils, Light and Shadows, Magnets and Forces, Plant Survival, Skeletons and Muscles
- Year 4: Teeth and Digestion, States of Matter, Sound, Environments, Electricity, Classification
- Year 5: Material Properties and Changes, Earth and Space, Forces, , Life Cycles, Growing Old
- Year 6: Light and Perception, Evolution and Inheritance, Electricity and Circuits, Classification, Circulatory System and Lifestyle
Developing Skills of ‘Working Scientifically’
Science in our school is about developing children’s ideas and ways of working which enable them to make sense of the world through investigation, as well as using and applying process skills. The pupils at Ark Blacklands work scientifically in a meaningful way. They gain the necessary knowledge first, before working scientifically to deepen and explore this knowledge further. Scientific enquiry is mapped out against the units to ensure balance and coverage.