The teaching of Frenchat Ark Blacklands provides children with the opportunity to develop an interest in learning other languages in a way that is enjoyable and stimulating. We strive to embed the skills oflistening, speaking, reading and writing necessary to enable children to use and apply theirFrench learning in a variety of contexts and lay the foundations for future language learning.
Our MFL curriculum is designed to progressively develop children skills in French as theyprogress through Key Stage 2. Children progressively acquire, use and apply a growing bank of vocabulary organised around topics. We follow the ‘Salut’Scheme of work to ensure coverage and progression.
In the classroom:
- displays are used to remind children of key vocabulary;
- practical activities,songs and games are used to help improve memory and recall;
- visual prompts are used to support children in translating new vocabulary;
- word mats are available for children to have out on desks to support their learning and recap previous learning;
- where possible, and staff feel confident, instructions are given in French to expose children to the language as much as possible and in day to day contexts.